Wednesday, November 24, 2010

We’ll Give Thanks To You With Gratitude

It’s funny, sometimes it seems life moves so quickly that rarely do we ever stop to realize just how blessed we truly are. In fact most of the time it’s a lot easier to focus on what we don’t have and what we wish we did have. But every now and again, you see past the veil of discontentment and actually see the bigger picture…

The other night as I was climbing into bed, I started thinking about how much God has blessed me. I hesitate to even describe to you what I was thinking because it just sounds so simplistic. But there I was, laying down in my cozy bed, in sheets and a warm blanket that smelled so fresh and clean; in my pretty room filled with my favorite things… with all my favorite cds and books, photos of people I love, instruments, notebooks and journals, jewelry that my grandma gave me, roses my dad gave me for my birthday in a vase sitting on my vanity.

I started thinking about how I have parents and a younger sister who are healthy and happy, whom are my very best friends in the entire world. We have a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs, and food on our table. We laugh and we have great conversations. We have God in our lives to love, protect, and provide for us.

I was thinking of all these things and I just couldn’t help but think….I’m blessed.

Sure, we’ve had and still have our fair share of struggles, but I just feel an overwhelming thankfulness in my heart when I think of all God has given us, as well as all he’s kept us from. The hurt we’ve been saved from and spared from. I could be so many places tonight….but by the grace of God…and only by the grace of God, I’m home- safe, sound, healthy, and happy. And please don’t think I’m saying any of this to brag…I just simply feel blessed.

There’s so much pain in this world, so much hurt…and yet I’m safe. And it’s all because of Jesus….  I’ve had dark times and walked through them with people I love. I have been through things, and have seen the people I love go through things, that have completely ripped my heart out and left me different…and hopefully for the better. I feel that maybe I have more compassion than I used to. A better understanding of what it means to love. A better understanding of what it means to hope, heal, and trust in a God who has more grace than I can even begin to comprehend.

I think because of those things I’m at that place where the concept of redemption has never felt so real to me. I truly believe with all my heart that no one is beyond the enormous love of God. There’s no one who’s too far gone. If there’s air in your lungs you still have a chance, you still have hope. No one is ever out of reach of God’s love and his hand of healing. 

And I feel blessed to know this tonight. I feel blessed that even when I can’t see the bigger picture, I am able to see God’s fingerprints in my life. I feel blessed to wake up tomorrow to the Macy’s Thanksgiving day parade and the smell of turkey making it’s way into my room. I feel blessed to sit down to a meal with my parents and sister tomorrow…a meal we worked so hard and had so much fun preparing today. I feel blessed to have things to be thankful for not only tomorrow but everyday. Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Below are lyrics to a song by Nichole Nordeman called “Gratitude”. A beautiful song that really fits the season. :)

Gratitude by Nichole Nordeman

Send some rain, would You send some rain?
'Cause the earth is dry and needs to drink again
And the sun is high and we are sinking in the shade
Would You send a cloud, thunder long and loud?
Let the sky grow black and send some mercy down
Surely You can see that we are thirsty and afraid
But maybe not, not today
Maybe You'll provide in other ways
And if that's the case . . .

(Chorus)

We'll give thanks to You
With gratitude
For lessons learned in how to thirst for You
How to bless the very sun that warms our face
If You never send us rain

Daily bread, give us daily bread
Bless our bodies, keep our children fed
Fill our cups, then fill them up again tonight
Wrap us up and warm us through
Tucked away beneath our sturdy roofs
Let us slumber safe from danger's view this time
Or maybe not, not today
Maybe You'll provide in other ways
And if that's the case . . .

(Chorus)

We'll give thanks to You
With gratitude
A lesson learned to hunger after You
That a starry sky offers a better view if no roof is overhead And if we never taste that bread

Oh, the differences that often are between
What we want and what we really need

So grant us peace, Jesus, grant us peace
Move our hearts to hear a single beat
Between alibis and enemies tonight
Or maybe not, not today
Peace might be another world away
And if that's the case . . .

(Chorus)

We'll give thanks to You
With gratitude
For lessons learned in how to trust in You
That we are blessed beyond what we could ever dream
In abundance or in need
And if You never grant us peace

But Jesus, would You please . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment