Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hot Chocolate & Winter Music Playlist!

It’s no big secret that I am a self professed Chocoholic. It’s an addiction that started early in life and it seems like there’s just no turning back. I’m ashamed to say I know my favorite brownie and chocolate fudge frosting recipe by heart…yeah that just goes to show how much I’ve made them.

As a chocoholic I guess it would come as no surprise that my favorite drink has always been a nice cup of Hot Chocolate. When I was a kid I would just drink it at Christmastime, my grandma would usually make a whole pot of it. But as an adult, I’ve come to enjoy it all year round. I’ve never been a fan of the instant kind and all its imposter flavor…just not my cup of tea…err chocolate. My family and I have always used the recipe on the back of Hershey’s Cocoa, which is really simple and delish. But a few years ago I found a new recipe for Hot Chocolate that sounded even more divine…enter Campton Place Hot Chocolate.

Let me tell you this is the most delicious and divine Hot Chocolate I’ve ever tasted. You truly have not tasted Hot Chocolate until you’ve had a cup of this. I honestly have no idea why it took me this long to make it. It is a little more involved than most recipes but if you really care about your chocolate (like I do), than it’s more than worth it. Because it starts with a chocolate ganache base it’s really thick and rich. The cream and milk make give it a really creamy and velvety consistency.

After tasting Campton Place Hot Chocolate I feel a little spoiled I must admit… it may have even made me into somewhat of a hot chocolate snob ;). I never want to go back to the old recipes. My mom and sister also declared it was the best they had ever tasted. I know I’m kinda raving about it (it’s part of the chocoholic syndrome)so I’ll stop. Make sure you try this recipe, put a little whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top and you have the most luscious cup of hot chocolate you’ve ever tasted. :)

Campton Place Hot Chocolate

Ingredients:
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup cream
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 recipe Master Ganache, recipe follows, using 2 cups cream instead of 1
1/2 teaspoon Tia Maria or vanilla extract
Whipped cream, for serving
Chocolate shavings, for serving

Directions:

Master Ganache:

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate

1 cup heavy cream

Using a serrated knife, finely chop the chocolate into 1/4-inch pieces. Don't be lazy here. Big chunks will not melt.

Traditional method: Place the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Bring the cream to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Boiling means the cream will actually rise up in the pan and threaten to boil over.

Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chopped chocolate. Tap the bowl on the counter to settle the chocolate into the cream, then let it sit for 1 minute. Using a rubber spatula, slowly stir in a circular motion, starting from the center of the bowl, and working out to the sides. Be careful not to add too much air to the ganache. Stir until all the chocolate is melted, about 2 minutes. It may look done after 1 minute of stirring, but keep going to be sure it's emulsified.  

Hot Chocolate: 
Bring the milk, cream, and cocoa powder to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. When it reaches a boil, remove from the heat, and add the ganache. Let sit for 1 minute, then stir well until combined, about 4 minutes. Stir in the Tia Maria or vanilla.

Serve the hot chocolate right away as is or store it covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. It can be reheated easily on the stovetop or in the microwave. If you wish, top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

Yield: 2 cups

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Inactive Prep Time: 2 to 4 hours

Ease of preparation: Easy

(Photo & recipe found @ www.foodnetwork.com)

----------------------------------------------------------

Here’s a little list of songs to go along with your hot chocolate! These are songs that remind me of Wintertime. They have kept me company through all these blistery cold days we’ve recently had (sooo ready for spring, how ‘bout you?) and made them feel a little warmer. Hope you enjoy!:)

Winter Music Playlist ~

1. Winter Song ~ Ingrid Michelson & Sarah Bareilles

2. White As Snow ~ Jon Foreman

3. Caramel ~ Suzanne Vega

4. Snow Song ~ Judd & Maggie

5. Coffee and Cigarettes ~ Augustana

6. Memories ~ Eisley

7. Chasing Cars ~ Snow Patrol

8. Mayfield ~ Augustana

9. Human Behavior ~ Bjork

10. Peace ~ Norah Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment