Thursday, June 7, 2012

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce

So let’s talk breakfast, shall we? I must admit, I’m usually not a breakfast person, and while this is blasphemy to some people; I’ve never been big on pancakes. When I was a kid my grandma would sometimes make pancakes for us on the weekends, they were good, but huge. They would fill up the whole span of a big plate, and I would barely make it through half, while the rest of my family quickly gobbled theirs up. I’ve always been more of a grab a cereal bar for breakfast type of girl. But I think I might be missing out.

There are some pancakes I will make an exception for though; like any pancake with chocolate chips and whipped cream, as it resembles a dessert more than breakfast. And now, these Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce. These pancakes make for such a lovely and decadent breakfast. And the best part… they’re low fat! Now this is my kind of breakfast! :) 

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce

032 (2)
(Recipe found @
http://www.maameemoomoo.com)

These lemony pancakes, filled with fresh lemon juice and zest, have quickly become a breakfast staple in my house. They are so light and fluffy thanks to the egg whites and ricotta cheese (am I the only one that reads "ricotta" in Giada De Laurentiis' Italian accent? ;))

008

016 

The blueberry sauce is thick and rich; not to mention looks ever so enticing running down the sides of the pancake. You could use any syrup over these pancakes but the blueberry flavor of the sauce is the perfect compliment to the lemon.

002 (2)

022 (2) 

Top them off with a little whipped cream and fresh raspberries, and you're ready to start your day!

While they don't take that long to whip up; I suggest making up the batter and sauce the night before. As much as I love cooking, am also not a morning person, and don't love much of anything in the morning hours. So if you're anything like me, night before prep might be a good idea!

033 (2)

Hope you give these lovelies a try; they make the waking hours a happier time! :)

Blueberry sauce -

Ingredients:
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2-3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water


Directions:
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and cornstarch and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar, and water.

Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and stir in lemon juice and cornstarch mixture. Stir until the sauce thickens slightly. Cover to keep warm and set aside.

Pancakes -

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup ricotta cheese (we used light ricotta)
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon canola oil

Directions:
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a medium bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese, egg, egg whites, lemon juice, lemon zest, and canola oil. Gently fold this mixture into the dry ingredients until flour disappears. Don’t over mix. The batter will be thick.

Heat a griddle or a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Drop about 1/3 cup of batter onto the hot griddle or skillet. Cook the pancakes until browned on the underside and beginning to set, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook the pancakes on the other side, about two minutes longer.

Continue making pancakes until batter is gone. Serve warm with blueberry sauce. Serves 3-4.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! These look and sound delicious! I love breakfast but am not big on pancakes, I'll have to give these a go soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is definitely one of the best pancake recipes I've tried. Even for someone like me who's not a big pancake fan, these were pretty hard to resist. I hope you give 'em a shot! Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete