Friday, June 21, 2013

Music Break: “The One That Got Away” – The Civil Wars

Oh let me tell ya, my music lovin’ heart is so happy right now! My most favorite dynamic duo in the world, the lovely Joy Williams & the handsome John Paul White of The Civil Wars are at it again! They just released their new single, “The One That Got Away” on June 11th. It’s the first single to hit the airwaves from their brand new self titled album that is set to drop on August 6th!! Eek! Can you stand it?! I can’t even! :D

Now if you’re familiar with TCW you know that they have been on a hiatus since citing “irreconcilable differences of ambition and internal discord” in the fall of last year. So it was very much a surprise to hear news of a new album. Is this a reunion? Have they resolved their issues? That remains to be seen. Since the majority of this album was completed before the split it makes one wonder if this is more of a swan song for the Wars.

What is quite evident is that pain and tension make for some great art! And that pain and tension is felt in every single note of this very intense & somewhat brutal song. I’m addicted.

“Oh, if I could go back in time
When you only held me in my mind
Just a longing gone without a trace
Oh, I wish I never ever seen your face
I wish you were the one
Wish you were the one that got away”

The tension of their personal issues, whatever they may be, almost seem to be fueling their art. It’s all a bit darker this time around. In a recent newsletter about the album they have stated, “The album was recorded amidst a grueling touring schedule, exhausting workload and a growing disconnect from their families.” 

It’s also a little bit of a departure from their usual sparse instrumentation. I was quite surprised to hear drums on this song…but it actually works.

If this track is any indication of what the album is going to be like, August 6th cannot come fast enough! Whatever the future looks like for TCW, I honestly couldn’t be more excited for this new album and just feel very thankful to have more music from them to treasure.

To pre-order the album click here. Also, to see their live in studio cut of this song, which is possibly even more intense yet beautiful, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment