Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween Treats & Traditions!

fall-halloween-pumpkins-md

Halloween holds such special memories for me! While it was never my favorite holiday; I always found it to be so much fun and still to this day, it's hard for me not to feel like a kid again when it comes around. Aside from the fun of trick or treating; our family has a special Halloween tradition that was actually passed down from our great grandmother.

Every Halloween, since my sister and I were kids, almost all of our extended family would get together at my grandparents house and we'd pass out candy while enjoying:  sandwiches (tuna...which I really don't like but you can't buck tradition...I have chicken salad ;),  chips and dip, popcorn balls, and my dad's green punch.

Though now it's just my parents, sister, and I, we still do it up right just for old time’s sake. I mean, let’s face it; my great grandmother did this, my grandma did it, and now my dad still does it...more than likely my kids will know this odd tradition too lol ;P.

So I wanted to share a few recipes that are a part of our tradition, hope you enjoy! Happy Halloween! :)  

Butterfinger & M&M Popcorn Balls

081[1] - Copy

Ingredients:
6 cups popped popcorn
3 (2. 1-oz) Nestle Butterfingers candy bars, chopped
Large bag of mini M&M's
1/4 cup butter
3 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows

Directions:
Combine popcorn, chopped Butterfingers, and mini M&M's in large bowl. Melt butter over low heat, add in marshmallows, stir constantly until melted and smooth. Pour over popcorn mixture and quickly toss until well coated.

Spray your hands with cooking spray and form popcorn mixture into six 3-inch balls. Wrap individual popcorn balls in Saran Wrap or in cellophane.

Green Slime Punch

073[1]

Ingredients:
2 pkg. Lime Kool-aid
1 bottle Ginger Ale
Lime Sherbet ice cream 

Directions:
Make Lime Kool-aid according to package directions, pour into punch bowl. Mix in bottle of Ginger Ale. Using ice cream scoop; add in Lime Sherbet to fill the bowl. Serve!

Brownie Pizza

(Recipe found @ http://southernfood.about.com/od/halloween/r/blhw2h9.htm)

Ingredients:
1 package brownie mix (21-ounce)
2 tablespoons flour
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup candy coated peanut butter candies
1 cup mini marshmallows
1/2 cup butterscotch ice cream topping

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, combine brownie mix, flour, water, oil, and egg. Beat with a wooden spoon for about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread batter in the pan and sprinkle with the candy coated peanut butter candies.

Bake for about 18 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove and immediately sprinkle with marshmallows. Cool for 15 to 20 minutes then drizzle with caramel or butterscotch ice cream topping. Slice into wedges when cool.

   p_holesbhg.com

No comments:

Post a Comment