Thursday, October 7, 2010

True Identity

It’s so easy to forget you’re made in the image of God. It’s so easy to forget who you belong to. That you’re a daughter or son of a beautiful, creative, loving God. That you’re worthy and valuable. That you have something of worth and value to share in this world. That you were fearfully and wonderfully made. The mirror is such a fickle master and we are controlled by it. Our identity is wrapped up in how we look, what we have, what other people think of us, and what we do. When our identity should really be wrapped up in who we belong to. We are daughters and sons of The King!

This is a lyric I wrote a while back about finding our identity in the one true place, in Christ. We have to know who we are in him if we are ever going to be confident and self assured. I know it’s an ongoing battle for me, but I really want to stop believing the lies, and start believing the truth of who God says I am. We are not what we see in the mirror, we are not what other people think of us. We are beautiful. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. Crafted in the image of God – who created the universe. He delights in us. He loves us. He made us exactly the way we are on purpose. To fulfill His purpose and plan. In Him we are whole. We are complete. We are loved!

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful,  I know that full well." ~ Psalm 139:14 (New International Version)

True Identity

mirror3

I'm my own worst critic. I see every little thing that's wrong with me. I have a list as long as the eye can see of all the things that need changing. But then I hear you say that you love me anyway. No I don't, oh I won't let myself believe you. My inner critic still whispering lies in my ear telling me what I'll always be, broken...   
                 
{Chorus}
Help me to see my true identity. Show me how I look through your eyes. I know it's a different view than I'm used to. Why am I so  blind to the holy perfection I become in you? You love me despite my flaws, maybe even because of them too. My true beauty, my true identity lies solely in you.

I'm my own worst enemy. Don't need the help of others to make me feel bad about myself. Though some words that have been spoken, reveal wounds that are still open. They are hard to forget, the ghosts of haunting self destruction. But then I hear you say you'll wipe all the pain away. You'll reveal my beauty to me. Oh no, I refuse to see anything but what I think I am, incomplete...

               {Repeat Chorus}

What does it mean to truly love yourself? Does anyone really know? Is there any chance we'll ever find out or are we doomed to never feel good enough? 

              {Repeat Chorus 2x}

© Krystal Celeste

"Because of this decision we don't evaluate people by what they have or how they look. We looked at the Messiah that way once and got it all wrong, as you know. We certainly don't look at him that way anymore. Now we look inside, and what we see is that anyone united with the Messiah gets a fresh start, is created new. The old life is gone; a new life burgeons! Look at it! All this comes from the God who settled the relationship between us and him, and then called us to settle our relationships with each other. God put the world square with himself through the Messiah, giving the world a fresh start by offering forgiveness of sins. God has given us the task of telling everyone what he is doing. We're Christ's representatives. God uses us to persuade men and women to drop their differences and enter into God's work of making things right between them. We're speaking for Christ himself now: Become friends with God; he's already a friend with you. How? you ask. In Christ. God put the wrong on him who never did anything wrong, so we could be put right with God. " ~  2 Corinthians 5:16-21 (The Message)

 

For more scriptures on this subject Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment