Thursday, January 26, 2012

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

It's no secret that one of my weaknesses is chocolate chip cookies; I even shared my favorite recipe on my e-zine, The Waking, here. It's the most commonly whipped up on a whim treat in my home. In fact, I could probably throw them together with my eyes closed (I know it goes to show just how much I've made them...don't judge me! ;)) But I recently discovered a recipe that takes chocolate chip cookies to a whole new level...I woke up to the wonder that is brown butter. I had read all about putting brown butter in recipes but had never tried it before... now I have this crazy urge to put it in everything! With its nutty, caramel like flavor the sky's the limit really. :)

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies -

014

013

(Recipe found @ http://inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com)

I found this recipe for Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies from one of my favorite bloggers, Sheena Jibson, of The Little Red House (which you should check out by the way, it's all kinds of awesome). She has made several things with brown butter and her amazing photos are always so tempting, so when I saw these cookies I knew I had to give 'em a shot. It's a pretty basic cookie recipe except for browning the butter, which is very easy.

All you do is melt butter in a skillet and stir until it starts to foam up. Then after the foam subsides, is when the magic begins as you will start to see little brown flecks appear in the bottom of the skillet. You continue to cook until it reaches a brown caramel color with a nutty aroma. After you let it harden in the fridge for a little while it is ready for use! I wasn't sure how it was going to affect the taste of the cookies, but it gave them such a delish caramel, toffee like taste. I couldn't believe how much it jazzed up the flavor!

This is officially my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe and will definitely be the go to from now on. Hope you'll give 'em a try!

2 sticks of butter (1c), at room temp
1/2 c white sugar
1 3/4 c brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 lb chocolate chips/chunks
1 cup chopped pecans

To brown butter:
Heat pan on medium heat. Cut butter in to pieces and melt in pan. Stir continuously. Butter will foam up. After foam subsides, small brown flecks will start to appear in bottom of pan. Continue stirring, until butter has reached a nice brown color, and nutty aroma. Turn the heat all the way down. Pour into a bowl and and refrigerate until solid again.

Cream the (solid) brown butter and the sugars until mixed well. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Continue mixing while adding the eggs one at time. Make sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next. Add the vanilla. Mix well for a few minutes until batter it light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula. Combine the flour, soda and salt in another bowl. With a whisk, stir to combine. With the machine on low, slowly add the flour. Mix until just combined, taking care not to over mix. With a spatula fold in the chocolate and pecans.

Drop by spoonful onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes. They should be lightly golden on the outside but still look gooey on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment