Monday, January 9, 2012

Feature on singer/songwriter James Vincent McMorrow

tumblr_ll1t1wsbU41qc9s22_1305146132_cover

It may be because I’m a complete music lover, but it seems like there’s a new song I fall in love with every week! And because I can’t keep something this good to myself, I simply have to share it with you guys! This weeks pick?  “If I Had a Boat” by Irish singer/songwriter, James Vincent McMorrow. You may have not yet heard of him but trust me, you will!

This song totally captured my heart upon first listen. It’s what I would call a “slow burn” song, in the way that it starts out soft and builds to an epic chorus and James’ passionate and soulful vocals. It’s the kind of song you have to listen to with your eyes closed… yes, that’s the rule, don’t break it! ;)

This is the first track on his debut album entitled, “Early In The Morning”, which was actually released in Ireland in 2010 to critical acclaim. Now we in America are just getting to know and experience this Irishmen’s talent. James recorded this album in an isolated house by the sea over the course of 5 months. The whole album is a self recorded and played project. I loved this quote of James explaining where this album came from, “This record was borne out of my desire to create something singular, take the simplest of chords, wrap them in washes of melody, so lines come in, they drop out, everything ebbs and flows as the songs move towards their inevitable end.”

In 2011 James opened for none other than The Civil Wars…yes, I’m featuring another artist that opened up for that dynamic duo! Which is actually where I first heard of his music, as The Civil Wars raved about James. And you might as well know that I do tend to find out about most of the music I love from other artists as well as blogs I read. And I’m so glad that I found James’ hauntingly beautiful music and I cannot wait to hear more from him in the future!

For more info on James Vincent McMorrow:

http://www.facebook.com/jamesvincentmcmorrow

http://www.jamesvmcmorrow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment