Monday, August 6, 2012

Chocolate Espresso Shaker

If you’re looking for a delicious drink to cool you off during these scorching hot summer days and happen to be a chocoholic like me…you might want to keep reading.

I’ve never been much of a summer person; even after living in TX all my life I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the humidity and triple digit heat. So I can’t deny that I’m counting down the days till happy pretty fall… which for us Texans doesn’t usually show up till late October. But if there is anything that can make the rest of these summer days bearable it just might be chocolate and espresso shaken over ice, poured into a glass, and topped with a generous dollop of whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Can I get an amen? ;)

I got this lovely concoction from a new cookbook that I bought called “Chocolate Bar” (and for those who know me I’m sure it’s no surprise that I instantly gravitated to this book). It was written by Matt Lewis and Alison Nelson who are the owners of a chocolate shop of the same name in New York City’s West Village.

061

012

(Yes, a bar of chocolate can double as a very delish book marker when you need it to. ;))

This shaker is the shops most popular summer drink and after you taste it, you’ll understand why. So may I suggest putting on some awesome summer tunes, relaxing in your favorite lawn chair or hammock, and cool off with a Chocolate Espresso Shaker on us! :)

Chocolate Espresso Shaker -

025

(Adapted from “Chocolate Bar” by Matt Lewis and Alison Nelson )

This drink is a rich, creamy, and frothy treat. It takes very few ingredients and is really easy to whip up.

005

It starts out with a base of Versatile Hot Chocolate. Owners, Matt and Allison have actually nicknamed it “Liquid Candy Bar”, “Melted Chocolate”, and “Party Pick-Me-Up in a Cup”… so that should give you an idea of just how decadent this hot chocolate is. And trust me, it lives up to those names. This would be awesome all on its own in the wintertime but since it’s summer, we’re going to put this baby on ice.

016

Next comes the happy shot of espresso! I picked up some ground espresso at my local bookstore/café and used my sister’s espresso machine that she got for Christmas like two years ago and only used once. Which I believe we named Preston Jameson … for reasons that I just simply cannot recall right now.

020

Once the espresso is brewed you toss it, along with the chilled chocolate, into a shaker with ice and shake it till frothy. Then if you want to get a little fancy with your chocolate (and who doesn’t?), you pour it into a pretty cocoa rimmed cocktail glass! Which I did by first dipping the rims of the glasses in water then in a mixture of cocoa and sugar. Last but not least, finish this lovely off with some whipped cream and chocolate shavings (yes, because what this drink really needs is more chocolate, right? ;))!

My only complaint about this drink is that the espresso could have been more prominent… two shots next time maybe? Other than that, you have the perfect  drink to keep you cool and impress your dinner guests this summer! :)

033

Versatile Hot Chocolate:

Ingredients:

3 ounces bittersweet (60% to 70%) chocolate, chopped into small pieces

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup milk

2 tsp. light brown sugar

Directions:

Place chopped chocolate in a small heatproof bowl. Bring water to a boil and pour over the chocolate pieces, making sure all the chocolate pieces are submerged. Set aside for about 3 minutes. While waiting for chocolate to melt, place cream and milk in a medium saucepan and bring mixture to a simmer. Stir in brown sugar.

Whisk chocolate and water mixture until smooth, then pour immediately into milk and cream mixture. Whisking constantly, bring mixture just to a boil.

Take off heat and let it chill in the fridge. Yields 2 to 3 servings.

The Shaker -

Ingredients:

1 shot of espresso

8 ounces of chilled chocolate

handful of ice

whipped cream and chocolate shavings (optional)

Directions:

Place the espresso, chilled chocolate, and ice in a cocktail shaker and shake over ice. Strain the ingredients into a chilled cocktail glass. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings if desired. Yields 1 serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment