Sunday, August 4, 2013

Nostalgic Christian Rock Playlists

christianrockplaylist

Music is such a funny thing, it's amazing to me how just the first few notes of a song can bring back a rush of memories. It can be a time machine transporting you back to different times in your life; good and bad.

This post is kind of a special one as I have my sister, Cecily, guest blogging with me!! As kids we both grew up listening to a ton of Christian music and going to lots of concerts. And while yes, looking back some of that music may have had a slight cheese factor to it (cough, Carmen ;)), it played a huge role in our lives. And going to concerts & experiencing live music at such an early age was a really fun way to grow up & I wouldn't trade it for the world.

This love of Christian music and concerts continued into our teen years and into adulthood. But our tastes definitely changed... instead of Carmen or Point of Grace we were now listening to Switchfoot, Hawk Nelson, Showbread, and Underoath (to the complete horror of our parents who gave us many lectures about listening to screamo ... or bands who "sound like the world" ;)).

Even though in recent years a lot has changed, I lost my concert buddy as my sister is now married & living in GA, and I think both our tastes in music have changed a little. But we both still love these songs. Not only because their nostalgic and bring back lots of fun and happy memories... but also because it's just really good music. I think we'll always love them. So in honor of that love we wanted to share our Christian rock favorites with you guys today!

It's hard not to be nostalgic when it comes to these songs but I'll try not to be overly sentimental. After all these are rock playlists and how rock 'n roll would that be, right? ;)

Cecily’s Christian Rock Playlist -

Oh, the nights my sister and cousin spent listening to these songs. They are all beautiful memories to us. I had so much fun putting this list together because with each song I was reminded of a night or year or a specific time in my life…these songs followed us. I sound sappy but that is because a lot has changed over the last couple years. I have moved to another state and can’t always see my family as often as I want so the memories these songs hold for us help me to feel like I am not so far away. I can put on a song and it’s like they are right there next to me. Skillet says it the best in their song “Those Nights” –

“Through all the hard times in my life
Those nights kept me alive” – That they did and still do.

Old Skool Christian by Cecily Priscilla on Grooveshark

Be sure to check out Cecily’s blog, Bluebonnets & Peaches!

Krystal’s Christian Rock Playlist -

The songs I chose remind me of every Friday and Saturday night sitting down with my sister and watching our music video shows. It may sound dorky but watching our music videos (and sometimes baking up a pan of brownies) was something we looked forward to every weekend... we were just wild & crazy like that lol. We started watching TVU's "Ten Most Wanted" back in 2004 (rarely ever missed an episode) as well as many others that we discovered so many bands we now love through. They also remind me of rocking out at concerts with my sister and cousin! Those were some of the most fun times ever... so these songs bring back those memories and really make me miss them like crazy!

Nostalgic Christian Rock Playlist by Krystal Rodriguez on Grooveshark

No comments:

Post a Comment