Saturday, May 23, 2009

Writing Influence...

One of my biggest writing influences is singer/songwriter Cindy Morgan. I've listened to her music ever since I was like 10 or 11 years old. My sister and I grew up to her music. I knew every word to every song on her "A Reason To Live" CD, and "Listen" continues to be one of my very favorite Cd's to this day. My parents took my sister and I to her concerts a couple times when we were younger, we loved it! We even have a picture taken with her, which I would post if my sister wouldn't kill me lol. I feel like she was my first taste of what real songwriting was as a child. Her music, to me, is timeless. It's still walking along side me even as an adult. It's real, honest, sincere, heartfelt, thought provoking, and interesting. Good songwriting draws you in and becomes a living breathing part of you. You feel like you are taking a peak into the life of someone else...but all of the sudden you realize you're really looking at a reflection of your own life. This what her music is to me. And that's the kind of writer that I want to be. To write honest, real, sincere, heartfelt, thought provoking, and interesting songs.


Not too long ago on Cindy's website, fans were sending in questions for her to answer. Well I decided to submit a question and turns out, mine was the first one that she answered:

"The first question is from Krystal.
Being a songwriter myself i was wanting to know, what song did you have the hardest time writing? And what song was the easiest to write? Do the happier songs or the sad, maybe more introspective songs come easier?


Hi Krystal,Thanks so much for your question. I think your instincts are right on about it being easier to write the introspective songs. I can only speak for myself, but I think songwriting in general is about trying to reconcile things in life.For me, writing songs is much like journaling is for others.... you think, you pray, you consider all angles. Much of the songwriting process happens before you pick up the pen... it is the romancing of the idea... kind of like falling in love. I court a song, long before it gets written. There is a song on this upcoming record (Beautiful Bird) that I spent 8 years writing. It was a hard song to write because it was so special and I wanted it to be perfect. It's called Most of All. In another way, the hardest songs to write, are the songs that you try to rush or in a co-write situation, songs that you just don't connect with. I remember a few weeks ago, showing up for a co-writing session with a young ccm artist, who was in the mood to write something that I just wasn't into. That's when you earn your stripes and play tricks on your brain to try and get on board. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Keep on writing Krystal!
Blessings,
Cindy"


For more info on Cindy's music go to http://www.cindymorganmusic.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment