Saturday, July 7, 2012

Nutella Swirl Peanut Butter Banana Bread

I recently have become obsessed with this recipe for the most delish spin of the ever classic banana bread that I have ever tasted. It involves a very generous swirl of the chocolaty goodness that almost everyone is obsessed with, Nutella! For some reason it always seems like just the mention of Nutella in a room full of women will elicit raves … which makes me think this is mostly a woman’s obsession. But we’re not discriminating here guys, as everyone should share in this amazing treat. ;)
My sister and I used to eat this stuff by the spoon full… we wouldn’t even bother putting it on toast or crackers. No, that would’ve just slowed us down and chocolate cravings cannot wait. After a while of eating it right out of the jar, I started to get very sick of this stuff, but I’m here to tell you that my love for it has been recently renewed.
My love for Nutella was rekindled last month when I received a jar of it in my Foodie Penpals package (see Foodie Penpals recap below).

This time around instead of just eating it straight out of the jar, I decided to get creative with the Nutella and bake with it. Why I never baked with it before I don’t know. I stumbled onto this recipe after searching Pinterest for ideas and knew I had to make this. I seriously never want to make banana bread the old fashioned way again. After tasting this, normal banana bread just seems like a bore. This is banana bread for the new generation. I suggest you get with the program and give it a shot! ;)

Nutella Swirl Peanut Butter Banana Bread -

014

(Recipe found @ http://sallysbakingaddiction.com)

I learned a very important lesson about banana bread in the process of making this recipe. The secret to perfectly moist banana bread is very very ripe, almost rotten bananas… maybe it’s common knowledge but it was new to me! So don’t throw those rotten bananas away, folks, put them to good use.

020

This banana bread is so moist and chock full of peanut butter, chocolate chips, and mini Reese’s Cups. And on the very top is a lovely swirl of Nutella. It’s a beautiful thing. The Nutella makes it so decadent and rich, and it tastes great with the banana and peanut butter flavors. I mean, does it get any better than bananas, peanut butter, and chocolate?

026

Ingredients:
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (I just used all purpose flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup Reese’s mini cups (NOT the bite-sized Reese’s, the smaller MINI ones. Or use 3/4 cup chopped regular sized Reese’s Cups)
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 heaping tablespoons Nutella

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together bananas, peanut butter, oil, egg and sugars.
Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Batter will be very thick. DO NOT OVERMIX.

Fold in Reese’s Mini cups and chocolate chips. Spread batter into prepared pan. Drop 3 tablespoons of Nutella on top of bread in a row. Swirl with a knife. Bake for about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Baking times may vary.

Let cool in loaf pan for 10 minutes, then loosen the edges of the pan with a knife and remove from loaf pan, transferring bread to a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment