Monday, February 1, 2010

Fatal Addiction

This is a lyric that's very close to my heart. I wrote it back in 2005 after being so inspired by reading a book called "Thr3e" by my very favorite author, Ted Dekker. I find that quite a few of my lyrics are actually inspired by reading Ted's books. "Thr3e", while fictional, spun my head around with truth about the sin nature. It made me see the sin nature of man in a way that I've never understood it before.





If you've never heard of "Thr3e" here is a quick summery: Thr3e is the story of seminary student, Kevin Parsons, whom we find out has a very troubled past. While driving in his car he receives a mysterious phone call from someone named Slater, who threatens to blow up Kevin's car if he doesn't confess his sin to the world in three minutes. But what sin Slater is talking about Kevin does not know. A cat and mouse game ensues as Slater tries to reveal the truth of what Kevin's sin really is.

The book is based off the scripture in Romans 7:15 - 25 - "15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. 21So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin."

With this lyric I wanted to talk about how when sin penetrates our heart we become split, our soul becomes divided. Like Paul said in Romans, our hearts desire to do good, but for some reason instead of doing the good we want to do, we end up doing the evil we do not want to do. A war is being waged inside of us. The sin nature within us is vying to take over and win this war.

Sin is such an illusion. It looks so good at first, then after a short while, we start to see the ugly truth come through. But by then we may have an addiction to that specific sin. And these addictions are fatal to us. Fatal to our hearts, souls, minds, bodies. It's like all of who we are becomes infected. They are fatal to our present and fatal to our future. But these sins and fatal addictions do not have to take over your life. The good news is, there is freedom in Christ. We have all sinned and fallen short of God's glory. We all have our chains. Yours are no worse than mine and mine are no worse than yours. There is no sin scale, sin is sin. So we are all in the same boat. We all need to be forgiven.

Whatever your fatal addiction is, I believe there is deliverance for you in Christ. It may not seem like it right now, but God can take what you are dealing with and use it for power in your life. In Him is where you'll find forgiveness, redemption, deliverance, healing, and ultimate freedom.



Fatal Addiction

This bitter pill falling into my soul splits this person, now there's three on the totem pole. The good, the bad, and all that lies in between. It exists in the dark yet never remains unseen. The good, the bad, and the beautiful reigns supreme.

(Chorus)
This addiction can keep you entranced with an enticing yet sinister lure. Infecting you with a disease and telling you there's no cure. We are an epidemic screaming "God rescue me!" We are held captive by these chains and we are dying to be free. Fatal addiction you're deceiving. Fatal addiction you're magic is fleeting. Fatal addiction you're deceiving. Fatal addiction you're magic is fleeting.

Screaming for meaning and dying for truth. We are lied to everyday sometimes it's hard to find you. Everyone has chains and they are all the same, just called by a different name. I'm guilty I must confess. And everything you've done, I've done no less.

(Repeat Chorus)

Will we let this fatal addiction go before we sink into the quick sand to the dark unknown? Sin is sin no matter what form it's in. All natures of man will crave it till the end. Will you give in? Which nature will win? Or will you let redemption take you over again?

(Repeat Chorus 2x)


(C) Krystal Celeste

No comments:

Post a Comment