Monday, February 13, 2012

Tiramisu French Toast

Ah, yes, the signs are everywhere you look; red paper hearts galore, cheap boxes of candy, and cheesy cards let us know that the day of love is just around the corner. And whatever your opinion is of this holiday, you are still probably looking for something to give to the special person (or people) in your life.

I've always been a fan of Valentines Day. I mean yes, love should be expressed all year round, not just one day a year; but to me it's always felt like a happy day. It's a day you should bake cupcakes with pink sprinkles and hand them out to everyone you know. In our family, my dad has always been notorious for going all out on this holiday (much to my mom's objections as she'd rather just save the money) and getting not only my mom a gift but my sister and I as well. It's a sweet tradition that I doubt very seriously he'll ever stop. Maybe that's why I like to look at this holiday as not just being about romance, but as a day to appreciate all of the people in your life who you love. When focusing on that no matter what your relationship status is, it still leaves you feeling blessed. :)

And if you're looking for something special to make for the people you love on Valentines day (as the best gifts are always the ones you make yourself) might I suggest putting this Tiramisu French Toast on the menu? :)

 

Tiramisu French Toast -

tiramisuft-4
(Recipe & photo found @
http://www.howsweeteats.com)

My sister and my mom actually made this french toast for me on my birthday a few months ago and it was the most delish and sweet birthday surprise ever! Thick bread, creamy mascarpone cheese, flavors of coffee and cinnamon, topped off with a drizzle of honey and a dusting of cocoa powder.. oh and don't forget the strawberries! Tiramisu for breakfast? Oh yes, that's love to me baby! ;)


Ingredients:
1 loaf challah bread
8 whole eggs
1/4 cup cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup mascarpone cheese
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon honey
4 tablespoons butter
maple syrup for serving
sliced strawberries for serving

Directions:
Sliced one loaf of challah bread into 1-inch thick slices. In a large baking dish, combine eggs, cream, vanilla extract, sugar, cinnamon and 1/2 tablespoon instant coffee powder and whisk together. Lay bread in dish and let soak in the egg mixture for about 30 seconds each side.


Heat a skillet on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Add french toast and fry until golden brown. Flip (adding more butter if needed, use your judgment) and fry on other side. Repeat with remaining slices of bread and tablespoons of butter.


Mix mascarpone cheese with honey and remaining coffee powder and spread on french toast slices while warm. Sprinkle with cocoa powder and serve with syrup and strawberries. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment