Friday, January 18, 2013

The Best Advice I’ve Ever Been Given

janblogaday

I’m sure glad this January Blog A Day thing is super casual…because I pretty much stink at keeping up with stuff like this lol. So I’m jumping back in on day 18 for “Advice”. The best advice I’ve ever been given is short and simple… yet so very important.

Ever since we were kids my dad has always told my sister and I the same thing: “Never run from God, always run to Him.” I can’t begin to tell you how many times that advice has played through my mind over the years. I venture to say of all the important things my dad has taught me, this is probably the most valuable.

We all have a tendency to run from God, to stray, from time to time. We let ourselves fall into sin or even just sinking so far into the pain of something we’re going through… and we run from Him. Out of anger, fear, or shame. Just like Adam & Eve, our first instinct is always to run & hide, to cover ourselves up. I know I’ve been there.

There are times we just rather not let Jesus into those places of our hearts and lives. Maybe we’re just not ready to give up whatever sin is slowly destroying us or maybe we’d rather wallow in the pain instead of letting him begin the healing process in us. It can be so painful to surrender sometimes.

But when we finally get sick of running, when we can’t stand the distance we feel from Him any longer, when our hearts miss Him so much it’s hard to breathe (cause make no mistake, if you have ever truly known Him, you will miss Him)… is when we finally look up, and almost fearfully offer up a prayer. Are you there, God? It’s then we see that He never left, He was there all along. And we start to realize the most amazing thing, a miracle, God’s not angry with us. No, in fact, He welcomes us back with open arms. It’s simply the miracle of the grace and love of God.

Surrender can be so painful… but it’s when beautiful change can take place. And all of the sudden you can breathe again.

I don’t know what you’re going through, where you’ve been, or what you’ve done… but I do know, without a doubt, that Jesus is not mad at you. He loves you. His grace is sufficient for you. And He’s just waiting to welcome you back with open arms. Call on him today. Don’t wait. The best advice I could ever give you is the same advice my dad gave to me, never run from God, always run to Him.

jan-blog-a-day

No comments:

Post a Comment