Monday, December 30, 2013

Peppermint Bark Brownies

Hey lovelies! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! And I hope you’re not sick of Christmas desserts just yet because I have one more I want to share with you. I know, I know… it’s almost New Years but I don’t stop celebrating Christmas till January 1st. And even then I’m still holding on to every last bit that I can. So bear with me.

Now that we’ve covered Peppermint Bark… how about some Peppermint Bark Brownies, shall we? Don’t know what it is with me & peppermint lately, think I’m on some kind of kick. Pretty sure it all started with the peppermint mocha I had early this month. Now I’m obsessed.

Even though I have my staple brownie recipe I’m always on the lookout for a new one to try. This recipe combines one of my favorite desserts with one of my new favorite Christmas treats. And it really does look like peppermint bark, doesn’t it? This is the perfect holiday brownie recipe!

Peppermint Bark Brownies -

007new

(Recipe adapted from here)

A rich and fudgy brownie infused with peppermint extract, topped with a layer of white chocolate and crushed peppermint candies.

010

These brownies are really easy to make and look so festive! Peppermint and chocolate are such a great combo and the white chocolate gives it an extra layer of flavor.

Really the brownie itself is just so good! It has to be one of the fudgiest brownies I’ve ever tasted. I would love to actually try it on its own without the peppermint extract at some point.

018new

031new

You could cut them into triangles, which I think resembles actual peppermint bark, or squares which also look lovely!

I found this delish Christmassy recipe from one of my favorite foodie blogs & cookie swap hosts, Love & Olive Oil. When it comes to decedent desserts, they never disappoint! I made these brownies for the first time last year and knew this had to be a new Christmas staple. Hope you give them a try before the season is over… or you know, you could just be a rebel and make them in January ;).

Ingredients:
2/3 cup flour
2 tablespoons dark or Dutch processed cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract

For Topping:
6 ounces good quality white chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
3 to 4 candy canes, coarsely chopped or crushed (about 1/2 cup) (I used Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips)

Directions:

Start by pre-heating your oven to 350 degrees and lining your baking pan (a 8-by-8-inch) with parchment paper, letting some hang over the sides.

In a small bowl sift together your flour, cocoa, and salt.

Next melt your chocolate and butter in a double broiler. You can do this by setting a mixing bowl over a simmering pot of water. Stir till smooth and then remove from heat. Add the sugar and whisk until it has dissolved and the mixture is slightly cool.

Then whisk in the eggs, vanilla, and peppermint extract until just combined, making sure not to over mix. Add the flour on top of the mixture and fold it in with a rubber spatula just until incorporated. Pour mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. When brownies are done, allow them to cool completely.

Now time to melt the white chocolate! Which it seems like I've been talking about a lot lately. The way I do it is to melt a little bit at a time with a small amount of vegetable oil in the microwave, at 10 to 15 second increments. This method has changed my baking life, let me tell ya!

When brownies have cooled completely, pour your white chocolate over your brownies and smooth it out with an off set spatula. Next sprinkle your peppermint candies on top. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or over night (for some reason they really are at their best the next day).

After chilled, using the sides of the parchment paper, lift brownies from the pan. Cut them into squares and then diagonally in half into triangles. Brownies will keep in the refrigerator (covered) for up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment