Saturday, December 21, 2013

Peppermint Bark

In addition to all my favorite traditional holiday treats, such fudge, divinity, & truffles, I wanted to try something new this year. While peppermint bark is certainly a classic treat to most this was the first year I ever made it. And it definitely won’t be the last. This bark is just the taste of the season! Normally I‘m not even a huge fan of peppermint but when it’s paired with chocolate (cause my philosophy is that everything is better with chocolate) I make an exception. Plus, how pretty and festive does it look?!

I also made this for my churches Christmas dinner and the tin was empty before I knew it! Definitely a new Christmas staple!

Peppermint Bark –

067new

(Recipe adapted from Honeysuckle Catering)

Layers of chocolate and white chocolate infused with peppermint extract, topped off with pieces of peppermint candy.

059new

This bark couldn’t be simpler to make and takes very few ingredients. The refreshing taste of the peppermint pairs perfectly with the chocolate layers.

091new

The only problem I had with this bark, which I hear is pretty common, is that the first time I made it the chocolate and white chocolate layers separated as I broke it apart. But the second time I made it, I let the bark sit out on the counter and soften for like 15 minutes before I broke it apart. I don’t know if that’s what made the difference but it stayed together that time. If you are a peppermint bark pro would love to hear your tips on this!

084new

If you’re looking for a last minute gift or a simple and delish treat to take to Christmas dinner I can’t think of anything better than a tin full of this Christmassy peppermint bark!

Ingredients:
10 ounces of dark, semi-sweet chocolate chips
10 ounces of white chocolate chips
1 1/2 teaspoons of peppermint extract
3 candy canes (I used Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips)

Directions:
Start by spraying the back side of a baking pan with cooking spray and then covering it with a piece of parchment paper.

Next melt your chocolate. You could do this by using a double boiler; just place a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water, add your chocolate, stir till smooth, then remove from heat. Or you could melt it in the microwave for 10 second increments.

Once your chocolate is melted, pour it on to the parchment paper, using an off set spatula to spread it into a smooth and even layer. Place it in the fridge and let it harden for 10 minuets.

Take another bowl and melt your white chocolate. Now as I talked about in my last blog, melting white chocolate is a tricky thing. The way that I did this was by first measuring out my white chocolate and adding the peppermint extract before I melted it. I found if you add it after it's melted it will cause the white chocolate to seize. Next I took a small amount of the white chocolate along with a little bit of vegetable oil in a small bowl and melted it in the microwave for 10 second increments, stirring until smooth. Do this till all your white chocolate is melted.

Once the white chocolate is melted, pour it on top of your chocolate layer and spread it with your off set spatula. Sprinkle your candy cane pieces on top. Set it back in the fridge to set for another 10 to 20 minutes.

Finally take your baking sheet out of the fridge, lift up your parchment paper, and break up your peppermint bark into pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment