Monday, September 30, 2013

Family Heirlooms #blogtember

I can't believe that today is the last day of September... and the last day of #blogtember! :( I had so much fun with this challenge. It was refreshing to have fun and creative writing prompts to do almost everyday. I felt like I really did more real writing this month than I have in a while. It was also so fun to connect with other bloggers; to read their thoughts and be inspired by them was truly one of my favorite parts.

I want to thank Jenni over at Story of My Life for hosting this challenge. I'm going to miss it! I hope I can keep the creativity flowing! :)

Blogtember

Well the final #blogtember prompt is to share something that's very special to you, that was maybe given or past down to you. I chose two items, each represent both sides of my family.

My grandpa's (on my dad's side) guitar -

012new

When I was 14 I became completely obsessed with wanting to learn how to play the guitar. For years I'd seen my grandpa’s small acoustic guitar sitting in our living room (my family & I lived with my grandparents at the time), he would pick it up and play on occasion. When I was a kid I would sometimes pick it up and pretend to play it. But most of the time I would run my fingertips over the bridge of the guitar just because I liked the way it sounded.

When he found out that I wanted to learn how to play he let me have his guitar to learn on, even teaching me some chords. The guitar, being rather small, was and still is the perfect size for me. Not heavy like some some are. I took lessons for a short time from a friend of my cousins. When we moved out of my grandparents house not long after that, he told me to take the guitar with me. And even 8 years now after his passing, here it remains.

005new

I took lessons on and off through out my teen years and um ... still only know like 4 chords lol. But that's beside the point. Having his guitar means so much to me. He was a musician who mostly played the saxophone. He even played and traveled around in a band for a while. His love for music, listening and playing, was definitely passed down to his grandchildren.

My great grandmother's (on my mom's side) quilt -

023new

My grandma passed this beautiful quilt, that was handmade by her mom, down to my mom years ago. It hangs on my mom's quilt rack and means so much to her. So much so that she has said it will later on be passed down to me. My great grandma handmade it from her kids' clothing and my mom thinks it's probably near a hundred years old.

027new

To think of all the time and love that went into making it, to think of how much it meant to my grandma, and how much it means to my mom, makes me even more proud to someday have it in my home. Especially since I have a love for all things handmade and homemade. To think of the generations that have cherished it will make it extra special. Then to someday pass it down to my children for another generation to cherish. Keeping it in the family.

What makes these items or anything that can be classified as a “family heirloom” so special is the person it came from and the stories attached to it. I’m so glad that I have these as well as other things to treasure and remind me of my special loved ones. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment